Monday 12 August 2013

61. Beauty // My Skincare Routine Pt. 1

I've seen a lot of these posts around lately and I find them so interesting that I decided to do my own. The reason I've split it into two is that I have two different skincare regimes: one when I'm at home, one when I'm at my boyfriends. Today I'm going to write about my 'at home' routine which includes a lot more products!

Let's start by saying that my skincare routine, and therefore my actual skin, is by no means perfect. I'm 20 years old and I still get spots, blackheads, rosacea, open pores, you name it - I get it! I was plagued (well, that's how I felt at the time!) with quite severe spots whilst going through puberty. I was the first of my friends to get spots on their chin, forehead, nose (so painful!) and occasionally on my chest and shoulders too. I felt disgusting.

Spots really do knock your self-confidence, in my opinion and I even ended up going to the doctors and being prescribed some strange gel (which, consequently, both my sisters have gone on to use) which actually worked wonders.

What is my skin like?

I would say that I have mainly oily skin as I never get any dry patches on my face but constantly have a shiny nose, forehead, cheeks and chin. I also have quite red skin, particularly on my cheeks, but I am able to cover this up with foundation and powder. Spots aren't a very common problem with me; I always have at least one on my face at any given time (fact) but they aren't big, yellow spots oozing out puss - they tend to just be little red ones that are gone within a few days, thankfully.

What products do I use?


The first part of my nightly skincare routine is always to remove my make-up; I start off by removing my eye make-up using Simple's brilliant eye make-up remover which is excellent for sensitive skin. It feels just like water and is actually quite refreshing and has little to no odour either which is a bonus.

Next I remove my skin make-up - and I'm waiting for lots of boos and shouting from the beauty bloggers - with lukewarm water and a bit of soap. When I'm at my boyfriends' I use make-up wipes (even worse?!) but at home, I just stick to the old-fashioned way.

Once I'm happy that the majority of my make-up has been removed - apart from the bits you find in all those nooks and crannies (mainly around my nose) - I use Garnier's anti-blackhead deep pore wash which I've been using for years. It's a really nice, thick serum-like product, which lathers up nicely on your skin and is easy to wash off too. I find that my skin feels really smooth after using it, plus it is specifically for oily or combination skin, and it's cheap - win, win!

After patting my face dry, I then use Nivea's daily essentials 2-in-1 cleanser and toner, which is another product that I love. The smell reminds me of sun-cream and it's a lovely, light liquid which feels great on my skin. I rub it into my face and neck, using my finger-tips, and then a minute or so later I gently wipe it off using a cotton pad. Even after washing my face with water, and using Garnier's face wash, this stuff manages to remove even more of my make-up and there's always evidence of it on the cotton pad.

Before bed, I've recently been using Boots mattifying gel cream from their Botanics range. I found this little pot in the reduced section in store, for only £1.75! Bargain. It's designed to 'balance moisture' and 'control shine' and is specifically for oily/combination skin again. I was over the moon when I found it. I've only been using it for a week or so, so I can't really give a truthful verdict on it, but so far so good.

Finally, I use my Origins 'Brighter by Nature' skin tone correcting serum, to tackle my skin's redness. I was lucky enough to win this, as part of a set, at a raffle a couple of years ago but I've only started using it over the last couple of months. I don't really know whether it's had much of an effect but it smells delicious and it's a nice little treat to have on my bedside table.

So, that's my skincare routine. I've still got a long way to go but it seems to be working okay for me *touch wood*. If you have any suggestions of products that you think would suit my skin then please let me know in the comments below, or on Twitter!

Have you tried any of these products? 
Which is your favourite skincare product to use?

Lots of Love,
Becci xo

1 comment:

  1. just nominated u for the liebster award! check my blog for details :)

    xx Annie

    annieleaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete