Wednesday 2 October 2013

84. Travel // Sedbergh, Cumbria

Recently, I was lucky enough to spend four wonderful days with my mother, visiting my grandparents at their beautiful home in Sedbergh, which lies on the edge of both the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales. It really is just heaven on earth; a peaceful haven. I thought I'd share a few photographs from my trip.


This was the perfect opportunity for me to test out my new camera. The weather wasn't particularily bright, but the skies were very atmospheric which you will see in several of the later photographs.


This cute cow was adorable. I shot this from quite a distance but I'm happy with how it came out!




Mum and I went for lots of walks, with Jess (my grandparents gorgeous border collie), along the bottom of the Howgill Fells.



The colours of the rolling hills around my grandparents were perfect for some intense, atmospheric shots, but not quite so nice when you're walking up little paths and lanes late at night by yourself. Yorkshire Ripper, anyone?








Watching the cows coming in for milking. This was terrifying. I had forgotten how huge cows are close up!



I also spent a lot of time in my grandparents garden, looking for bright and beautiful photographs that I could snap. I was pleased with how these two came out!


As well as the incredible scenery, I was treated to lovely meals out and a spot of shopping with my Grandma too! We visited Kendal where I bought some gorgeous, cosy winter boots. We also visited The Bath House (check out their website, their products are gorgeous!) which was full of brilliant goodies, including Earl Grey lip balm and Gin and Tonic bath salts! 

If you're ever heading into Cumbria or Yorkshire, I'd also recommend stopping at the Westmorland Service Station, at Tebay, which has the most delightful farm shop, pond and cafe, selling some amazing produce. 

We visited an amazing gastro-pub named The Pheasant Inn in Casterton, where I had baked pan fried hake, butternut squash puree, roasted peppers & buttered new potatoes which was just delicious, and after shopping one afternoon, mum and I popped into Duo in Sedbergh where I had this scrumptious hot chocolate.

4 comments:

  1. What lovely photographs - I had a lot of childhood holidays in the Lakes and you certainly captured the place really well. Love the shadows of the clouds upon the hillsides too.

    Herds of cows are terrifying though aren't they?! I remember going for a lot of walks and having the path go through cow fields - actually dread those walks, always fear they are going to madly charge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely. I know, it's such a beautiful place, so calm and yet so atmospheric!

      Cows really are terrifying! I had (still have!) the exact same fear... imagine one charging towards you?! Ahhh!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, this looks wonderful! I would love to spend some time in the countryside at the moment (I'm a city girl) just to clear my head and appreciate nature etc etc. I agree with Rachael above though - cows are pretty scary! Lovely photos xx

    http://fillmylittleworld.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, you should visit the Lake District sometime if you've never been! It's so relaxing, and so many amazing photo opportunities too! xx

      Delete