Wednesday 4 February 2015

155. 100 Day Spending Ban - Two Weeks In...

Hello lovelies.

I'm now two weeks into my 100 day spending ban, which I wrote about here. My aim was to save money and cut down on how much of my wage I waste on stuff that, to be honest, I really don't need each month.

I've had a couple of slip ups but I'm still feeling pretty proud. So, what have I bought?

I ran out of powder so I had to repurchase my usual -  which was only £3.99 from Superdrug. Not bad for a product that I can't do without, and that'll last me for months. As I mentioned in my spending ban rules, repurchasing something essential is okay, so this was a totally guilt-free purchase.

It's my sisters 20th birthday in a couple of weeks so I needed to buy her a present. I managed to snap up a few cute bits and pieces on ASOS, as well as a personalised card from MoonPig, for around the £10 mark. I mentioned in my rules that gifts were okay to spend money on, within reason, so I won't beat myself up about this.

I've been toying with the idea of getting some specs for months. I work in an opticians so I get my contact lenses for free but, to be honest, they're a real faf and by the end of the day my eyes are so tired that they begin to hurt, so wearing contacts isn't ideal. I managed to get a pair of gorgeous matte purple Raybans for under £25 (the perks of being an optical assistant!), so I was over the moon. I put them on my credit card which means I've broken two rules in one go but they're not a whimsical purchase, they're an essential that will last years. 

S and I move house in just under three weeks and it's a bigger place which means we need more 'stuff' to fill the space. We've got a gorgeous, period fireplace in the new living room and we wanted something to hang above it. After a good hour of browsing mirrors, paintings and posters, we found an amazing Breaking Bad canvas (which has now sold out!) for just £30 on Ebay, so I snapped it up instantly. I know it's not a necessity but, c'mon there were only two left, and I didn't want to miss out!

I start my pregnancy yoga classes next week and, as exercise is a complete no-go-zone for me usually, I had no work out gear in my wardrobe. I'm also getting to the point now where some of my clothes are getting a little snug and uncomfortable around my tummy. Whilst choosing my sisters presents on ASOS, I took advantage of the free delivery on orders over £20 offer and bought a pair of leggings and a loose vest for just £13 so now I can look stylish and be comfortable during classes.

Other than these items, I've had a trip to Greggs (sorry but I just can't resist their steak bakes!) and the odd bottle of pop or bar of chocolate on my lunch break, which will never break the bank but, nevertheless, it's not helpful. 

I'm so proud that I haven't slipped up and splurged in Superdrug or on the Lush website (believe me, I was tempted when I saw their new range of Valentine's Day products) that I think I can forget about the things I've bought that I didn't really need. I'd say I've probably spent about £75 in the last fornight that I could have done without (so that's the glasses, the extra bits of food, the yoga outfit and the canvas) but, believe you me, it's a lot better than usual.

Are you taking part in a spending ban? 
What are your weaknesses when it comes to spending money?

No comments:

Post a Comment